Planning for Reconstruction
Questions to ask your plastic surgeon and/or breast surgeon
You’re likely to have lots of questions for your surgeon and the list below is a
good starting point. You can even print these questions and take them to your consultation
About the procedure
- What are all my options for breast reconstruction?
- What are the possible risks and complications for each type of breast implant operation
and how common are they?
- How many steps are there in each procedure and what are they?
- How long will it take to complete my reconstruction?
- How much pain or discomfort will I feel and for how long?
- How long will I be in hospital?
- Will I need blood transfusions and can I donate my own blood?
About the surgeon
- How much experience do you have with each procedure?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for each procedure? What results
are reasonable for me?
- Can you recommend any cancer support group?
About the results
- What if my cancer recurs or occurs in the other breast?
- Will reconstruction interfere with my cancer treatment?
- What will my scars look like?
- What kind of changes in my implanted breast can I expect over time?
- What kind of changes in my implanted breast can I expect with pregnancy?
- What are my options if I’m dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of my implanted
- When will I be able to resume my normal activity (sexual activity or athletic activity)?
About the cost
- For staged reconstruction, what is the estimated total cost of each procedure?
- How much will my health insurance carrier cover, especially any complication that
may require an operation?
About the implants
- Who is the manufacturer of my breast implant?
- Where can I find safety and effectiveness information regarding these breast implants?
- Does the manufacturer have a product warranty?